Saturday 7 March 2009

Warm-up for nationals

Just got back from a few warm-up games in hyde-park.

First game was against a pick-up flump team. We won fairly comfortably but played pretty sloppy. Our handlers looked useful against their zone.

We then played disc Doctors (imperial college) and lost, I think the final score was 6-4, but to be honest that's flattered us a bit. We were shocking. We played terribly against dD at regionals as well. Tom P suggested that because we practice next to them and know them so well it takes some of the intensity and concentration out of our game. I agree with him, I think our strength as a team lies in our ability to dominate our match-ups particularly on D, that was missing in the dD game today. I also think our handlers should be more willing to play a bit of dirty huck and d when were struggling against a zone. Playing for territory can be a viable option when playing div 2 uni (It does feel pretty wrong though).

Our final game was against LSE (I think they're now called 'hot sweaty beavers', nice. but I suppose its better than 'equilibrium'). Anyway for various reasons LSE have been our biggest rivals since the 2006/7 season but I think the rivalry has become more friendly this year . Their team tends to be dominated by a few american college players which makes for some seriously competitive stuff, I invariably enjoy games against them. They beat us in a very tight and windy game at regionals and went on to win the tournament. Today, pissed off with our performance against dD we went out hard and focused. we went up by 3 or 4 and traded for a while. They had a bit of a resurgence, the hooter went and we took the universe point for the win. I was pretty chuffed with thrown's display, our intensity was top draw and our O looked sweet at times (the handlers were hot against the zone). A great win.

So a mixed day for thrown but a really off day for me (my throws just weren't happening and I missread a couple of discs). I'll get some good practice in this week and hopefully I'll be confident for next weekend. Overall I think we're looking pretty good for nationals. I can't wait.

No comments: